Protecting data privacy is core to our platform. We collect very little information about you, store that information carefully, and never share it without your permission. Payment information is used solely for billing purposes and handled securely. This privacy notice discloses the privacy practices for www.unitedrelay.org and all United Relay of America Services.
What We Collect
In order for you to create an account on United Relay of America and use our services, we need to collect and process some information. Depending on your use of the Services, that may include:
- information (such as your name, email and postal addresses, telephone number, and country of residence) that you provide by completing forms on United Relay of America, including if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to our newsletters, upload or submit any material through United Relay of America, or request any information;
- your login and password details, in connection with the account sign-in process;
- details of any requests or transactions you make through the Services;
- information about your activity on and interaction with United Relay of America, such as your IP address and the type of device or browser you use;
- communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem);
information that you submit to United Relay of America in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users.
This data will not be publicly displayed or revealed to other users:
- any payment information you provide;
- your password details;
- your IP address;
- communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem)
We don’t give your personal information to any third-party services, except when it’s necessary to provide United Relay of America Services (like when we partner with payment processors or our apparel supplier). When we share data with third-party services that support our delivery of the United Relay of America Services, we require that they protect your personal information to the same standards we do.
We do reserve the right to disclose personal information when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect United Relay of America’s legal rights.
What’s Only Shared with Participants
When you donate to a participant, the runner will know your name and the amount you have pledged. Participants never receive donors’ credit card details or other payment information.
Participants may also receive anonymized information about the ways people visit and interact with their profile pages, in the form of routine traffic analytics.
When you create an account, we create a basic profile page for you on United Relay of America, containing your account name, the route and stage you signed up to, the charity you’ve chosen to run for, and a list of donations you have received. Whenever your account name appears on United Relay of America (for instance, when you post comments, send messages, or appear on the runner leaderboards), people can click your account name to see your profile. Here are some of the things that will be publicly viewable on your profile, or elsewhere on United Relay of America:
- the account name, and the route and stage(s) you’ve signed up for;
- any information you choose to add to your profile (like pictures, bio, or your location);
- donations you’ve received
Uses of Your Personal Information
We will use the personal information you provide to:
- identify you when you sign in to your account;
- enable us to provide you with the Services;
- send you marketing communications we think you may find useful, but only in accordance with your email preferences;
- present information to you when you use the Services which we believe will be of interest based on your geographic location and previous use of the Services;
- administer your account with us;
- enable us to contact you regarding any question you make through the Services;
- analyze the use of the Services and the people visiting to improve our content and Services;
use for other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information.
We take securing your data and preserving your privacy very seriously. We never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission. United Relay of America participants never receive donors’ credit card details or other payment information. We do not and will not sell your data.
Payment information including your name, address, and credit card information is required for some United Relay of America services. This information is used solely for billing purposes by our PCI-certified payment provider, Stripe.
‘Stripe has been audited by a PCI-certified auditor, and is certified to PCI Service Provider Level 1. This is the most stringent level of certification available.’ Source: https://stripe.com/help/security
Your credit card information is encrypted and transmitted to Stripe securely; it is never stored on United Relay of America systems, and no one at United Relay of America can access it. Read more about security at Stripe - https://stripe.com/help/security
Privileged members of the United Relay of America team have access to your credit card's expiration date to ensure your payment information remains valid.
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt out of any marketing communications we send.
We will send you email relating to your personal transactions. You will also receive certain marketing email communications, in accordance with your preferences, and from which you may opt out at any time.
We may send you service-related announcements on the rare occasions when it is necessary to do so.
To modify or delete the personal information you have provided to us, please log in and update your profile. We may retain certain information as required by law or for necessary business purposes.
On request, we will give you a copy of all the personal information about you that we hold. This information is subject to a fee not exceeding the prescribed fee permitted by law.
If you have questions or suggestions, please email [email protected]
No changes have been made to this document